Sunday, June 1, 2008

WHY?



Christian is growing up way faster than I remember the other children doing and certainly much faster than I want him to. It may have something to do with the fact that I have always been pregnant long before any of my other kids hit this age - in fact Christian was born when Elijah was the age he is right now- so I always knew another baby was coming and there was not a question if it would be the last time to go through each stage. While I am fairly certain we will probably have at least one more, there are many days where we are completely overwhelmed with our four and don't see how we could possibly add more to the mix! Anyway, the other morning we had one of those moments where you realize how quickly he is growing up and it was so darn cute, I had to share! He got up around 6 or 6:30 like he always does and Mark and I were still in our room talking. A couple of the other kids were up so he was wandering around the house. Christian helped himself to a box of cereal as is his usual when I do not respond quickly enough to his hunger pains. He came into our room with two huge handfuls of cereal, having left a Hansel and Gretel worthy trail all the way down the hall from the kitchen. He well knows the rule that he is not to eat outside of the kitchen area. So, I told him that he needed to go eat at the table or in the kitchen. He looked at me with his big beautiful eyes and very clearly said, "WHY?" I began to respond and half way through Mark and I both laughed because we just realized that we were answering to the why of a 19 month old. Nevertheless I answered with something like that was the rule and he needed to go eat in the kitchen. I guess it sufficed because he dutifully marched back to the kitchen. All I know is since then, I get asked why about everything from him and he is way too young for that! I guess that is what happens when you have three very intellignt older siblings to follow around all day.

3 comments:

The Nates said...

There is nothing like the innocence of a child to give you perspective.

My baby Ellie will always be my baby. I have enjoyed every minute of her, knowing that she is the last. There is sadness when you realize there won't be another one on the way. Hang onto the moments. They go awya so quickly. Check out Deanna's blog about Lucas. It is great to see the snapshots in time.

Sigh....

Anonymous said...

He's precious. I hope you all visit soon. And Shannon, I tagged you. If you go onto the Marks page you'll find the directions and if you would like or have time, fill out your answers! :)

The Whites said...

He's so cute! I can't believe that I haven't met him yet! We are going to come to CA sometime this summer, hopefully when you guys are around. I will let you know! We miss you guys! Your kids are getting SO big and are so beautiful!