I had a great Mother's Day...make that week. Mark and the kids decided that they would do all the laundry for the week as one of my gifts. I think that was one of the best gifts they have ever given me. I really did not think or worry about getting laundry done all week...I can't recall the last time it wasn't at least in the back of my mind! Then, Saturday the girls took me for a haircut ( I got about 10 inches cut off, so it was quite a change, but a good one for the 100 degree heat we have coming soon!). We had a lot of fun together. Sunday, I got breakfast in bed and the traditional flower pots and handprints from church. Mark and the kids made a great dinner that we ate on our patio in near perfect 75 degree weather and they gave me some fun gifts. I am so grateful to have such a wonderful husband and to be blessed with these 4 beautiful children. There are days where I forget that it really is great to be the mom, but most days I truly love it.
One thought from sacrament meeting...a former bishop, now high councilman, spoke. He shared some writings from his mother who had a great appreciation and love for art. He read some thoughts she wrote on her first trip to see art in Paris. His daughter is currently travelling in Paris and is carrying with her the notes and thoughts her grandmother wrote so many years ago. He said very clearly...Mother, sisters, WRITE IT DOWN! The message hit me pretty hard. Our kids and grandkids and so on will want to know who we are beyond that we made them dinner and made them brush their teeth! We need to record our memories and beyond that, I got from him sharing this that we need to develop our own interests and passions, as time allows.
How grateful I am for my own wonderful, amazing mother who has taught and loved me so much and continues to do so now with her example and life. I love you mom!
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Shannon,
I just read your post. Thank you so much for sharing your Mother's Day activities and thoughts. You are such a wonderful mother and wife; you have no idea how much joy that brings me.
I wanted to second your words about your mother. She is one of the most amazing women I have ever met. You come by all that you are honestly!
Love to you all -- and thanks again for the beautiful flowers. This is Friday and they are more beautiful today than the day they were delivered -- and still blooming!
Sheila
P.S. In regards to your comments about writing it down -- I guess that is what has motivated me to spend the last couple of hours trying to master the art of the blog. I read the little note about the Warsaw Ghetto on my in-box today and decided I wanted to pass it along, especially with the older grandchildren in mind and try to share a sense of what motivated Dennis because I know he was such a student of history. As I am getting older, the importance of writing and organizing takes on more meaning. I will say that it is so good to record as you go along -- thus the importance of these blogs that you are all doing so well! You -- nor your children -- will ever be sorry for the time you are spending in doing all that you are doing.
Love,
Sheila
Post a Comment