Thursday, April 10, 2008

You're Gonna Miss This

Well, you may be wondering why we disappeared from our blog for a couple of months and now we are back! I have thought often of things that I wanted to post and just have not taken the time. So, I am recommitting myself to appreciating the little moments and sharing them here. The other day, I heard a song on the radio by Trace Adkins called You're Gonna Miss This. In case you haven't heard it I added it to my playlist on the side so you can. I woke up one morning a few days later, thinking about the third verse of the song where she has the little kids crying and screaming. In the course of taxiing everyone to their events that day, I heard this song on the radio no less than 4 times. In fact, once I changed the station and it was on another station as well. So, I have thought a lot about this and I know I am going to miss these days ( long after I have had time to forget the fits, fights and diaper changes!) Therefore, I hope to chronicle them better here and I hope your will enjoy reading about them and share your thoughts!

6 comments:

The Nates said...

Thanks for making me cry! Today as I was driving to Idaho Falls, I looked in the backseat at my baby, Eleanor - 4 years old and realized I was going to miss her. They grow up so fast. I have to be careful not to wish all these days away.

Deanna had a good post in February titled "Homemaker." She posted a quote from Marjorie Hinckley called "I really lived." I try to remember that every day. Here is what it said:

I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.

Deanna's post also reminded me of the GC talk by Julie Beck titled "Mothers who Know." One of her points was that mothers who know are nurtures. She says -- Another word for nurturing is homemaking. Homemaking includes cooking, washing clothes and dishes, and keeping an orderly home. That lead me to an essay by Kristine Manwaring titled "My Home as a Temple." She says..."Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness." There was no hint that we should try to make our homes sacred like the temple. The sacredness is somehow already there...In the temple what we do with our hands is just as important as what we say with our lips. Certainly I show my love for my family with both my hands and my lips during the rituals of homemaking. I vocally tell my children I love them, but an understanding of the depth of my love comes when my hands clean up their vomit or gently scrub their backs or hang on to the seats of their bicycles or hold their hands as we cross the street.

So I am glad you are back, I'll put you on my favorites list and check in regularly. I may even get my own blog going, tentatively titled "The United Nates of America."

Mark and Shannon Family said...

Maria-
Thanks for your comments. Elder Ballard's talk on Sunday to young mothers also brought this on. I have though a lot about his discussion of enjoying the moments, not just getting them done for the sake of getting done. Good reminder!

Jon said...

Welcome back! We look forward to following your adventures.

- Jon and Deanna

Sarah and The Girls said...

Humble pie...yesterday Abi got herself up at 5:20 a.m. (sometime in the night she decided to rise early and surprise mom by getting dressed and ready with her room cleaned before I came to get her up). She had a full day what with bass lessons and her first soccer game (with only enough time to eat and change in between). Feeling the pressure she said, "It's days like these that break us or we ride on top." (the mommy heart in me swells)

Then, this morning we were tested with a contankerous attitude. The dryer didn't completely dry the clothes. Abi didn't want to get them upstairs and Isabelle dawdeled all through her routin. I couldn't seem to turn the mood around. I had comments such as "you're such a mean mom, you don't love us" and how did I respond? Well, I let them be late to school. What was the lesson? I am not trying to get you out the door for my sake. Did it work? Well, let's just say Calvin and Hobbes was read in the car on the way to school with my favorite song "we can be more gentle on ourselves" to help us all change our mood.

I read your blog this morning and was reminded of it during the morning routine when Abi needed to share the sink to spit while we brushed our teeth. (oh the joys of one bathroom)

I came home, returning to the blog, and listened to your song and it brought tears to my eyes for all time I don't get with my kids the morning routines mean all the more to me.

Thanks Maria for your comments as well...especially the reprint of Marjorie Pay Hinckley. She's amazing.

I am recommitting myself to the blog.
Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Shannon...it's Kim Ashton. I'm so glad that you emailed me. I just barely started a blog (due to peer pressure from family) this week so it's really basic...I don't know how to link yours to ours...but ours is abeandkimashton.blogspot. Maybe you can give me some tips. Your family is beautiful!

whitney said...

Hi Shannon,
I loved getting caught up with your family. You all sound so good. It is great to stay in touch this way. I miss the days of letters, but we just don't have time anymore. LIfe is crazy. Chris and I often talk of our mission memories and wonder how everyone is. Chris especailly misses Elder Hill and can't find him anywhere. Well, It's like 11:13 and I'm still in my bathrobe. I was up with Liberty and Everly last night. Chris sleeps like a rock, lucky man!

Love ya,
Whitney